Monday, July 6, 2009

Fantabulous Cake Recipe - Mocha Sheet Cake

I came across this recipe in a magazine a couple of months back and I've been REALLY wanting to make it but knew if I did for just Scott and I....I would be the one to EAT THE WHOLE THING....soooo, when we were invited to a BBQ for the 4th of July it was a perfect oppotunity for me to try it out. It is so yummy and moist...next time I will do it with just the cake and after it is cooled just sprinkle powdered sugar over it instead of the frosting, mainly because the frosting just really makes it sweeter....and I really just like the CHOCOLATE!!!

Mocha Sheet Cake

1 cup butter
1 cup brewed coffee (decaf if desired)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 recipe mocha frosting (below)
1/2 cup miniature semi sweet chocolate chips

(Note: for this part, I used a smaller saucepan for boiling and put the flour, sugar & salt in my Kitchen Aid mixing bowl and added the boiled mixture to it, because I don't have any saucepans that I could use a mixer in)

In a large saucepan bring butter, coffee, and cocoa to boiling, stirring occasionally with a wire whisk. Remove from heat and stir in flour, sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add sour cream, eggs, baking soda and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well-blended, about 1 minute more. Pour batter into an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Bake in a 375° oven for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. *
Spread Mocha Frosting atop cake; sprinkle with chocolate pieces.
(I used a 9 x 13 glass Pyrex dish and baked for 25 minutes)

*Make ahead: Freeze cooled, unfrosted sheet cake in the pan for up to 3 months. Thaw cake at room temperature before frosting.

Mocha Frosting

5 tablespoons butter, softened
1 lb package powdered sugar
3 tablespoons cold brewed coffee
1 tablespoon milk or cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar a little at a time on low speed until combined. Beat in coffee, milk or cream and vanilla until frosting is fluffy and spreadable. Add 1-2 additional teaspoons milk if needed to attain desired consistency (I didn’t need to do this last part).

No comments:

Post a Comment