Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday's Song - In Christ Alone

Sorry I skipped Saturday’s song last weekend. I was busy on Saturday and then on Sunday I felt like my body was trying to fight being sick because all I wanted to do was sleep. With all we are hearing in the media right now with this Swine (H1N1 or as I like to refer to it as the hiney) flu going around, I am fearful of getting it. The school that Scott has been working on has had about a 10% attendance decrease because of it and several teachers have also been out this week. There have even been about 5 deaths in the area that are related to the flu; one a coach for Post Falls that was in perfect health. A few nights ago, while sleeping, Satan kept trying to attack my mind. I had nightmares all night about getting it to the point of I was terrified of leaving my house. Since we don’t have insurance and I have a terrible immune system I’m just fearful of what could happen but I need to put my faith in God that we will be okay.

I just finished devouring the autobiography of Michael English “The Prodigal Comes Home”. I say devoured because autobiographies are hard for me to get into and read and it generally takes me awhile to finish one but this one I finished in 2 days it was so good. If you’re looking for a good book to read check this one out.

I was raised listening to southern gospel music and was a fan of Michael English before his big scandal and the several years that followed where he continued running away from God. (I even have all of his albums that he did as pop music.) I didn’t know what all he got involved in but it all comes out in this book and it is a miracle he is living to tell about it. He completely turned his life back around towards God and is back with the Gaither Vocal Band.

I thought it was quite sad in his book how he mentioned there were churches that he would attempt to attend that would just ask him to leave. It is those types of churches and “Christians" that make trying to witness to someone who is lost very hard.

This is one of my favorites that Michael has done and the words really were speaking to me in this time in my life where I need to be placing my trust in Christ.

In Christ Alone
Michael English

In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself
In battles won
For I've been blessed beyond measure
And by His strength alone, I overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes
Like diamonds in my hands
But these trophies could not equal
To the grace, by which I stand

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory
In the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

In Christ alone will I glory
For only by His grace
I am redeemed
And only His tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness
To my need
Now I seek no greater honor
Than just to know Him more
And to count my gains but losses
And to the glory of my Lord

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory
In the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book. Michael has always been one of my favorite "voices".

    ReplyDelete