Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Faves - Favorite old hymn & modern praise song


It’s Friday Faves again with It's Almost Naptime and this week is about our favorite old hymn and favorite modern hymn or praise song.

I love music, as I’ve mentioned before, so just picking one of each is hard. There aren’t a whole lot of churches anymore that sing hymns in their worship services, which I find sad. There are some great hymns out there and these two stick out as always being favorites.

I Surrender All

1. All to Jesus I surrender; all to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him, in his presence daily live.

Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all, all to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

2. All to Jesus I surrender; humbly at his feet I bow,
worldly pleasures all forsaken; take me, Jesus, take me now.
(Refrain)

3. All to Jesus I surrender; make me, Savior, wholly thine;
fill me with thy love and power; truly know that thou art mine.
(Refrain)

4. All to Jesus I surrender; Lord, I give myself to thee;
fill me with thy love and power; let thy blessing fall on me.
(Refrain)

5. All to Jesus I surrender; now I feel the sacred flame.
O the joy of full salvation! Glory, glory, to his name!
(Refrain)

Here is a video of it performed by The Isaacs, they do a really good rendition of it.




The Old Rugged Cross

1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross, the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross, and exchange it some day for a crown.

2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world, has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above to bear it to dark Calvary.
(Refrain)

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine, a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died, to pardon and sanctify me.
(Refrain)

4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true, its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away, where his glory forever I'll share.
(Refrain)

Here is a video of it sung by John Berry:




There is a hymn that my dad doesn’t like with a funny story behind it. One time many years ago (before I was ever around) while singing “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” in church, he looked over and caught one of the usher’s (I think) picking his nose. So every time my dad hears that song, he has that memory in his mind and I guess I do too now.

Two of my favorite modern day worship songs which I’ve already featured in my Saturday’s Songs posts are “Revelation Song” back in July and “We Fall Down” back in May.

Do you have a favorite you’d like to share? Leave me a comment and let me know what it is.

If you’d like to check out the others who have participated this week in Friday Faves, click over to Missy’s site at It’s Almost Naptime.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting some of your favourites. We need to encourage churches that are striving mightily to be "contemporary" not to abandon the rich heritage we have in our hymns and gospel songs.

    ReplyDelete